Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Backpacking from Dubai


Being based here in the Middle East, there are plenty of places that are easily accessible and you don’t have to pay a lot on airfare. Unlike when I was working in Cebu, vacations would be defined as a day in Bohol, an overnight drive to the south, or a weekend in Boracay. That was as far as I could go.

When I travel from Dubai, budget traveling is my style. I don’t really stay in five star hotels since I expect to spend the shortest time in bed when I’m traveling. So hostels are the way to go. The website http://www.hostelworld.com/ always helps. In all cases, I limit myself to at least 2,500 AED (680 USD) for a five-day vacation including airfare and accommodation.

Here, we list the top five budget places you could go to with Dubai as your starting point. We ranked it as well with how easy you can get the visa from the embassy, provided that you are a UAE Resident.


1. Istanbul, Turkey
Visa is surprisingly easy. European feel- architecture and culture is amazing. Direct flights via Air Arabia and Turkey Airways.




2. Cairo, Egypt
You can get the visa in a few hours. Just having the Pyramids of Giza in front of you is worth the trip.


3. Yerevan, Armenia
Snow, snow, snow! Most of us Filipinos haven’t seen snow. Armenia is beautiful and snowy on winters. Go from January-March. Visa is web based, you pay by card, and then you print (http://www.armeniaforeignministry.com/eVisa/)


4. Amman, Jordan
I’ve never been, but I know a lot of Filipinos who’ve been there already. And man, before you die, Petra Jordan must be at the top of your list. Visa- same day as long as you have all the requirements.


5. Goa, India
I’m not a big fan of India, but a lot of people are. And they say India has got everything, and going there will change you as a person. Whatever that means. Visa is released the next day. Direct flights via Air Arabia.


Send your feedback to: dubaidiscreetdude@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this article. i have been thinking about where to go during the eid holiday. istanbul is at the top of my list and this just made me decide to spend my eid vacation there. :-)

    ReplyDelete