Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Kill your last cigarette


Recently, I decided to make a positive change in my life. I’ve taken steps to stop smoking.

I’ve been smoking cigarettes for the last 10 years of my life. Usually, I would finish one pack every 4-5 days. When you calculate that to how many packs I smoke a year, that would be an average of 80 packs, or 1,600 sticks in 365 days.

I just mentioned a lot of really unbelievable figures up there, but believe me, I know people who actually smoke three times as much as I did.

Since December 5, 2008, I’ve stopped smoking. Not entirely though, I still puff a few sticks on occasions. More like 5 sticks a week and only when we’re having a beer in a bar. But this for me is a huge leap towards a smoke-free life.
It wasn’t easy, but I’m willing to share the tips that I’ve been following to help the smokers out there stop their dirty habit.

1. Ask yourself why you want to stop smoking. Write your answers on a piece of paper and carry it with you. Use it to remind yourself of why you want to stop, whenever you feel like smoking.


For me, it was all because I didn’t want to look old early in my life. I’ve seen a lot of smokers in our office, and they are a living proof that nicotine increases wrinkles, dries your skin and sags it. I’m glad I still get requested for ID sometimes when I grab a beer at a bar. That means I still look young and it’s not too late.


2. Change your schedule to avoid circumstances in which you usually smoke. Walk around or talk to friends when you would normally be smoking. Carry around "mouth toys" such as candy, gum or straws.


I used to call my smoking buddy every 10am, after lunch and 4pm to go out in the sun and puff our cancer sticks. I’ve decided to chew gum on those times instead, and surf the internet instead of sweating it out just to smell like cigarette when you walk back in the office.


3. List the good things that have happened since you stopped, and keep the list with you wherever you go as an inspiration.


This was a long list for me. I run the treadmill, and the increase in my endurance was unbelievable. I also noticed a big difference in my skin, it was more supple and moist. The effects of quitting showed as soon as one week from the time I stopped.


1. Reward yourself for quitting; you could take the money you might have spent on cigarettes and buy yourself something nice.


For me, this step wasn’t necessary. Quitting alone was rewarding for me.



Send your feedback to: dubaidiscreetdude@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment